I’m excited about the massive growth of the early retirement community online. I’ve benefited hugely from the information and I want to serve and give back to the community.
One of the most active forums I’ve found which is focused around early retirement is the Mr. Money Mustache forum. Over the years, I’ve admired the work that the moderators there have done to keep things working well.
One of the most prolific and thoughtful moderators goes by “arebelspy.”
I invited him on the show to try to go through and discuss some of the FAQs that I see constantly asked on the MMM forum.
Although we intended to tackle a list of about 8 questions, we ended up answering one: should I invest in real estate or stocks as my ER investment plan?
Links mentioned in the show:
- The Mr. Money Mustache Forums
- A convenient list of FAQs asked and answered on the forums
- Book: Building Wealth One House at a Time on Amazon (affiliate link)
- John T. Reed’s guru ratings (including a detailed discussion of Robert Kiyosaki’s work), a suggested sequence for starting a real estate investment program, a sequence of reading his books, and a partial list of real estate strategies.
- Landlording by Leigh Robinson (best book on managing a rental)
- Dunning-Kruger effect on Wikipedia
- Useful thread on buying and managing real estate you’ve never seen on the MMM forum